Include household income in your student finance application

You can apply for the Tuition Fee Loan and basic rate of the Maintenance Loan without having your household income looked at. This means you can apply without your parents or partner having to send in any details of their income.

However, if you want to get the full Maintenance Loan we will assess your household income and base the amount of your loan on that. If your course started before 1 August 2016, you could also get a Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant.

Your household income is your parents' or partner's income, plus yours. Rates for final year students will be different.

The easiest way to apply is online

Sending paper forms through the post takes longer than completing an online application. We've offered these forms for download if you've missed the chance to apply online.

Change your application using a paper form

You need to complete the following form to apply for finance which includes your household income. You can't do this online.

Complete sections 1 and 2 to say if you will get any income during this academic year.

If you want to apply for Child Care Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance and/or Adult Dependants Grant, complete section 3.

After you change your application - include your parents or partner's income

If you've changed your application to include household income your parents or partner may need to provide us with details of their income and send us a completed PFF2 form.

You need to either apply online or send us a paper form before you send us a PFF2 form - otherwise we won't be able to process your application.

If your parents or partners still need to send in evidence for an application you made in academic year 2019/20, please use the form below.

Re-using current year income financial information

If your parent(s) or partner have confirmed their income for tax year 2017-18 for a Current Year Income Assessment, we can use this latest financial information to support your 2019/20 application.

Sign and date your forms, then send them to us.

Please remember to include the correct postage.

Student Finance England

PO Box 210



More information about student Finance based on household income

Your household income is the total amount your family earns each year before tax and National Insurance. Household income is usually based on earnings for the previous tax years (2018-19 if you're applying to study in 2020/21).

Whose income is assessed depends on whether you are classified as a dependent or independent student.

Dependent students

If you're a dependent student your income and your parents' income is assessed. You're classed as a dependent student if you're under 25 years old and depend on your parents' financial support.

Independent students

If you're an independent student your income and your partner's income is assessed.

You're classed as an independent student if:

  • you're 25 or older
  • you have a child
  • you have no living parents
  • you are or have been married or in a civil partnership
  • you've supported yourself for three years
  • you're estranged from your parents.

How your household income is assessed

We look at the parents' or partner's income and their circumstances, such as the number of dependents they have. Parents or partners submit details of their income and circumstances, including evidence, so we can work out:

  • the level of student finance you can get
  • the financial contribution parents or partners make towards your loan.